Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition
Created specifically for college and undergraduate university business law courses, Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition is an engaging text that sets itself apart from other resources by delivering the key “need to know” elements of business law in Canada, at a price sure to be embraced by today’s cost-conscious student.
Now in full colour, the second edition clearly examines the legal issues faced by today’s businesses, emphasizing essential business skills in a student-friendly style.
As students progress through the text, they gain a working knowledge of the key concepts in tort law, contract law, consumer protection law, employment law, property law, and debtor–creditor law, among other areas; build confidence navigating real-world business situations; and learn strategies for minimizing business risks. A new companion website provides students with access to an electronic collection of sample business forms and documents based on those they will encounter in their careers, and encourages them to deepen their learning experience by connecting to useful organizations and additional information online. Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition will serve as an indispensable reference for students both in the classroom and beyond.
For instructors, the second edition of Canadian Business Law comes with an up-to-date and complete suite of ancillaries, including an Instructor’s Guide with detailed answers to all of the end-of-chapter review questions in the text; ready-to-use PowerPoint lecture slides; and a test bank of additional questions and answers that can be used to easily prepare quizzes, mid-terms, and exams.
New to the Second Edition
- Information on accessing the services of paralegals as an alternative to lawyers in certain business situations
- Additional tips on minimizing business risks
- New discussion of the Canada Consumer Product Safety Act (CCPSA)
- Updated information on the Ontario Human Rights Commission and the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario
- New section on employment standards under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act
- Expanded discussion of land interests
- New discussion of the employer’s duty to accommodate family care-giving obligations
- Coverage of Bill 168 amendments to the OHSA regarding workplace violence and harassment
- Expanded section on electronic banking
- Updates to reflect the changes to the monetary limit of the Small Claims Court
- Revisions to reflect extensive market feedback, including a new “Apply Your Knowledge” section in every chapter that challenges students to apply the material covered in the text to real-world business scenarios
- Elegant new design provides an enhanced reading and studying experience
- Updated and expanded “Case in Point” features use real-world legal cases to reinforce critical business lessons
- New chapter summaries help students quickly review the material they have learned and serve as a useful study aid
- Practical and interesting examples relevant to business students, written from a businessperson’s perspective
- “Minimizing Your Risk” features help students develop practical skills in proactive planning and risk management
- “Weblink” features invite students to expand their learning experience by exploring relevant institutions and online information sources
Chapter 1: Laws and Law Makers That Affect Business in Canada
- What Is Law?
- How Does Law Affect Business?
- Legal Risk Management
- Sources of Law
- Administrative Law
- Public and Private Laws
Chapter 2: Resolving Disputes and Navigating Canada's Court System
- How Are Business Disputes Resolved?
- Alternatives to Litigation
- Canada's Court System
- The Role of Canadian Courts
Chapter 3: Tort Law
- What Is a Tort?
- The Importance of Tort Law for Business People
- Vicarious Liability
- Joint and Several Liability
- Elements of a Tort
- Categories of Torts
- Unintentional Torts
- Intentional Torts
- Intentional or Unintentional Torts
- Defending Against Tort Actions
- Remedies for Torts
Chapter 4: Contract Law
- What Is a Contract?
- Contracts in the Business Context
- The Importance of Contract Law for Business People
- Formation of a Contract
- The Importance of Written Contracts
- What Is in a Contract?
- Reading the Fine Print: Typical Terms in Business Contracts
- Consequences of a Breach of Contract
- Remedies Other Than Damages for Breach of Contract
- Unenforceable Agreements
- What Can You Do About a Breach of Contract?
Chapter 5: The Sale of Goods and Consumer Protection Law
- What Are Sale of Goods and Consumer Protection Laws?
- The Sale of Goods Act
- The Consumer Protection Act, 2002
- The Competition Act
- Consumer Safety
- Consumer Information
- Consumer Privacy
Chapter 6: Methods of Carrying On Business
- What Are Methods of Carrying On Business?
- The Importance of Choosing a Business Structure
- Sole Proprietorships
- Introduction to Partnerships
- General Partnership
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Partnership Agreements
- Private Versus Public Corporations
- Joint Ventures
Chapter 7: Workplace Law
- What Is Workplace Law?
- The Importance of Workplace Law for Business People
- Human Rights in the Workplace
- Hiring and the Common Law
- Employment Standards: Pay, Vacation, and Working Conditions
- Health and Safety
- Equity in the Workplace
- Privacy in the Workplace
- The Unionized Workplace
- Ending the Employment Relationship
Chapter 8: Property Law: Personal, Real, and Intellectual
- What Is Property Law?
- The Importance of Property Law for Business People
- Personal Property
- Real Property
- Intellectual Property
Chapter 9: Banking, Financing, and Debtor–Creditor Law
- What Are Banking, Financing, and Debtor–Creditor Law?
- Financing a Business
- Debt Collection and Insolvency
For instructors who are moving to Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition from various other business texts on the market, the Transition Guide will ensure a smooth and simple transition.
- Instructor's Guide
- PowerPoint Presentation
- Test Bank (Instructor and Student Versions)
- Test Bank (Respondus-Ready Version)
For access to these free instructor resources, contact Instructor Support.
Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition (FINAL SALE)
Colour: Full colour
This price is for an un-shrinkwrapped new book being sold on a final sale basis. No returns will be accepted.
Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition
Colour: Full colour
News & Promos
"EMP’s text Canadian Business Law, Second Edition was our choice for Humber’s Business program students going into the 2012-2013 academic year. We were looking for a college student-friendly and interesting text with a focus on risk management and a clear connection to business. We wanted comprehensive and up-to-date content in a reader-friendly format that was written clearly and flowed logically. We were also impressed with EMP’s commitment to working with us to further develop their supporting materials and resources."
— Textbook Selection Committee, The Business School, Humber Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning