Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition
Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition, is also available as an ebook. To inquire about pricing for your firm or organization, please contact Debbie Hogan or call 1-888-837-0815 ext. 239.
Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition delivers the key and practical need-to-know elements of business law in Canada. Readers of this text will gain a working knowledge of important concepts in areas such as tort law, contract law, consumer protection law, employment law, property law, and debtor–creditor law, as well as learning strategies for minimizing business risks. A new companion website provides access to an electronic collection of sample business forms.
- Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition, is also available as an ebook. To inquire about pricing for your firm or organization, please contact Debbie Hogan or call 1-888-837-0815 ext. 239
- Companion website for access to a collection of sample business forms and links to relevant institutions and online information sources
Chapter 1: Laws and Law Makers That Affect Business in Canada
- What Is Law?
- How Does Law Affect Business?
- Legal Risk Management
- Sources of Law
- Administrative Law
- Public and Private Laws
Chapter 2: Resolving Disputes and Navigating Canada's Court System
- How Are Business Disputes Resolved?
- Alternatives to Litigation
- Canada's Court System
- The Role of Canadian Courts
Chapter 3: Tort Law
- What Is a Tort?
- The Importance of Tort Law for Business People
- Vicarious Liability
- Joint and Several Liability
- Elements of a Tort
- Categories of Torts
- Unintentional Torts
- Intentional Torts
- Intentional or Unintentional Torts
- Defending Against Tort Actions
- Remedies for Torts
Chapter 4: Contract Law
- What Is a Contract?
- Contracts in the Business Context
- The Importance of Contract Law for Business People
- Formation of a Contract
- The Importance of Written Contracts
- What Is in a Contract?
- Reading the Fine Print: Typical Terms in Business Contracts
- Consequences of a Breach of Contract
- Remedies Other Than Damages for Breach of Contract
- Unenforceable Agreements
- What Can You Do About a Breach of Contract?
Chapter 5: The Sale of Goods and Consumer Protection Law
- What Are Sale of Goods and Consumer Protection Laws?
- The Sale of Goods Act
- The Consumer Protection Act, 2002
- The Competition Act
- Consumer Safety
- Consumer Information
- Consumer Privacy
Chapter 6: Methods of Carrying On Business
- What Are Methods of Carrying On Business?
- The Importance of Choosing a Business Structure
- Sole Proprietorships
- Introduction to Partnerships
- General Partnership
- Limited Partnership
- Limited Liability Partnership
- Partnership Agreements
- Private Versus Public Corporations
- Joint Ventures
Chapter 7: Workplace Law
- What Is Workplace Law?
- The Importance of Workplace Law for Business People
- Human Rights in the Workplace
- Hiring and the Common Law
- Employment Standards: Pay, Vacation, and Working Conditions
- Health and Safety
- Equity in the Workplace
- Privacy in the Workplace
- The Unionized Workplace
- Ending the Employment Relationship
Chapter 8: Property Law: Personal, Real, and Intellectual
- What Is Property Law?
- The Importance of Property Law for Business People
- Personal Property
- Real Property
- Intellectual Property
Chapter 9: Banking, Financing, and Debtor–Creditor Law
- What Are Banking, Financing, and Debtor–Creditor Law?
- Financing a Business
- Debt Collection and Insolvency
Canadian Business Law, 2nd Edition
Colour: Full colour