Drama Works is your one-stop sourcebook for texts, theory, and activities. This colourful and visually engaging student resource offers current, accessible, and performance-ready approaches to the study of high school dramatic arts and encourages students to connect theoretical knowledge, play, and text excerpts with the tools needed to devise, adapt, and stage their own original works. Each chapter follows a three-part structure—Minds On, Action, and Consolidation—that mirrors the natural continuum of student skill development and allows for use in multiple grade levels. Extended screenplay excerpts have been carefully selected to help illustrate genre concepts and offer a range of classic and contemporary choices.
Click here to see what author, Kirsty Cunningham Irvine, has to say about this resource.
- Flexibility: Drama Works can be utilized as both a reference manual for teachers and a companion reader for students to access texts, theoretical information, and creation activities.
- Time-saving: Minimize preparation time and class-time organization of materials with a single collection of carefully selected warm-ups and activities; texts, scenes, and monologues for performance; and rich performance tasks.
- Program support: A three-part chapter structure—theory, practice, and creation—mirrors the natural progression of skill acquisition and offers opportunities to extend the use of the resource from grades 9 through 12.
- Teacher support: An accompanying teacher's resource includes suggested teaching strategies, lesson plans, line masters, and assessment rubrics.
- Visual lessons: An accompanying website includes related web links and a video gallery where teachers and students can upload performance videos: .
- Getting Started: Creating an Ensemble
- Chapter 1: An Actor's Tools
- Chapter 2: Improvisation: It's All Imagination
- Chapter 3: Creating Character
- Chapter 4: Ritual, Myth, and the Emergence of Greek Theatre
- Chapter 5: Commedia dell'Arte
- Chapter 6: Shakespeare and his Contemporaries
- Chapter 7: Modern Drama Gets Real
- Chapter 8: Theatre for Change
- Chapter 9: Contemporary Canadian Voices
- Chapter 10: Playwriting
Click here to view sample chapters from the student text.
Click here to view a sample chapter from the teacher's resource.
The Drama Works Teacher's Resource is an indispensable companion to the student book. This collection of classroom-ready materials is designed to save you time and includes: programming strategies, line masters in both paper and CD-ROM format, assessment and evaluation tools, and additional performance activities. Click here to preview a sample.
Contact us for more information on the Teacher's Resource.
ISBN: 978-1-55239-520-2 Net Price: $199.95
Sales of Teacher’s Resources are restricted to educational institutions and professional teachers.
Colour: Full colour